Italian Cultural Institute of New York 
Italian flag
IIC Logo: part of the sculpture "Big Sphere" by Pomodoro on red backgroundImage of the painting "The Ideal City" attributed to Luciano Laurana (Urbino, Palazzo Ducale)
italiano | news
| The Institute
| Events
| Learn Italian
| Our library
| Opportunities
>Archive-
>About us-
>>Staff-
>>Area of jurisdiction-
>>History-
>Contact us-
>How to reach us-
>Become a member-
>Premises-
>Press room-

History

The origins of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura of New York date back to 1956 when an information agency on Italy and Italian culture operated out of the Italian Consulate. In 1958, when the Italian government acquired the building at 686 Park Avenue (adjacent to the Italian Consulate building), the Agency moved into the new prestigious office, and in 1961 Istituto Italiano di Cultura was opened.

The Institute is a stately building in the 1919 neo-Georgian / neo-Federal style, the work of architects Delano & Aldrich. The five-floor building with a terrace and an interior garden is a New York city landmark along with the other stately structures that face onto the same stretch of Park Avenue between 68thand 69th Streets. Besides the Italian Consulate at 690 Park Avenue (built in 1917 by architects Walker & Gillette), the Spanish Institute at no. 684 and the Americas Society at no. 680 make up this group.

Originally, the Cultural Institute worked in close collaboration with Casa Italiana of Columbia University, the oldest institution representing Italian culture in New York, inheriting also part of the Italian book and newspaper collection previously housed in Casa Italiana's Charles Paternò Library. In fact Giuseppe Prezzolini (professor of Italian at Columbia University since 1923 and director, until 1933, of Casa Italiana) contributed to the Istituto Italiano di Cultura's beginning until 1962 when he left the United States.

For nearly 12 years, from 1964 to 1976, the Institute’s activities, under the direction of Prof. Giuseppe Cardillo, carried essentially on those connected to the information agency: bibliographical information; cataloguing of newspaper and magazine articles; strong connections with the community of Italian origin in New York; the publication of periodical news bulletins. A different approach was taken subsequently, with a greater attention to the organization of cultural and social events, the creation of cultural services for the promotion of Italian language and culture, and the establishment of steady relationships with the city's major cultural institutions.

The reformation of the Italian Cultural Institutes (L. 401 of December 29,1990) provided for New York and other select Institutes the appointment of prominent personalities of Italian culture as director. Since 1991, they have been: Prof. Furio Colombo, journalist, scholar, and member of the Italian Parliament; Prof. Gioacchino Lanza Tomasi, renowned musicologist, full professor at Palermo's University and director of the Bologna Opera House; Paolo Riani, architect and Senator of the Italian Republic; Claudio Angelini, renowned writer and journalist.

List of Directors of the Institute of New York:

  • Giuseppe Cardillo
  • Marco Miele
  • Lia Beretta
  • Ivano Marchi
  • Ennio Troili
  • Gianclaudio Macchiarella
  • Furio Colombo
  • Nives Mutti
  • Gioacchino Lanza Tomasi
  • Paolo Riani
  • Antonio Cosenza
  • Claudio Angelini
  • Renato Miracco
  • Riccardo Viale
1964 – 1976 
1976 – 1982
1982 – 1984
1984 – 1986 (addetto reggente
1986 – 1988 (addetto reggente
1988 – 1991 
1991 – 1994 
1994 – 1996 (addetto reggente)
1996 – 2000
2000 – 2002
2002 – 2003 (addetto reggente)
2003 – 2007
2007 – 2009
2010-



   

-

links | Site map | Disclaimer | Credits